Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Thank You Lord for Pastor Ed

It's October and usually in October we appreciate our pastors at CFBC.  Well today I want to reflect on one pastor that had a huge impact in my life.  There have been many pastors that God has used to shape me and help me grow in my walk with the Lord, but Pastor Ed was and is different.

I miss Pastor Ed dearly.  He's been my pastor for as long as I've been a believer.  He was there when I needed counsel, rebuke, and encouragement.  He always knew when I needed the "talk" and he would call me in his office or I would go to his house.  I miss those moments.  I miss knowing that he was there to talk to when I strayed away and I knew he would point me back to Christ.  And lately I've been needing his counsel, rebuke and encouragement.  I've been a believer for some time and I know there are moments in my life that it's hard to desire Him and fight for my joy.  It's been difficult not having him around.

He taught me so many things, not just from the pulpit.  He taught me that remembering people's names is important and there's always an instant connection when you use names.  He always knew people's names, and I always marveled at that gift because he knew a lot of people.  He taught me that a family doesn't have to be related by blood.  He adopted me into his family and made me feel like I was one of his kids.  That welcoming attitude was so dear to my heart.  He taught me to always have people's back in the ministry because there will be many oppositions.  I remember I was in a jam with a parent because her daughter ran away and as she was looking through the daughter's room for clues she found a note I wrote to her a while ago.  Of course that mom accused me of stuff but Pastor Ed stood up for me and defended me, then when he was away from the mom asked called me to come to his house to ask me about it.  He didn't even know if I was involved but yet he stood up for his flock.  He also taught me that ministering to people is hard and people will hurt you, but God is good and gracious.  We minister not for the approval of men or to be loved by them...but we minister to show others the greatness of God for their happiness in Him and for His glory.  Lastly he taught me how to live out the gospel truth throughout my life and not just on a Sunday or around believers.  How the gospel should penetrate every being of who I am and what I do.  How the gospel is the center of every relationship I have with people, no matter who they are or what they believe.

I thank the Lord that He allowed me to be ministered by Pastor Ed.  To watch him be a loving husband, dad, grandfather, and pastor.  I thank the Lord that I witnessed His amazing grace on Pastor Ed throughout the years of his ministry to CFBC and to the churches in the Philippines.  I thank the Lord that Pastor Ed was my pastor for so many years.





No comments:

Blog Archive